Monday, June 20, 2011

My 3 Dads, Part 1

In honor of Father's Day, I'd like to highlight the 3 most spectacular dads in my life.  I will proceed in 3 parts, 1 for each.

Part 1:  My #1, absolute favorite Dad...the Hubs!
Hot stuff, huh?

The truth is, there is no one other person I can think of at the moment with whom I'd rather be raising these 3 monkeys.  And they are pretty pumped he's their dad as well.
So I asked them this afternoon to tell me their very favorite thing about Daddy...

TB:  "I love that he is so sweet to us."




Riv: "I love that he is so much fun with us and plays arm ball with me all the time." (Little source of parental tension there...he is quite the fun Daddy.  Which means sometimes I have to be the mean Mommy.  You get the picture.)
(Hairy eyeball example :)
 Pipe:  Hi!

And me:

I love that he frequently tells TB that she is beautiful.  And shows her lots of affection.  And is pretty much her biggest cheerleader and encourager of her free-spiritedness.  And she is his "mini-me".  Gotta love that.
I love how engaged he is with his only son.  How Riv is his favorite golf partner.  How he would choose to play baseball with him in the front yard over watching the US Open.  Now that's love.  And Rivers idolizes him for it.  What a fabulous foundation for a boy and his Dad.  I know there are days coming when that foundation will be built on and tried by the winds of puberty and teen angst and on-setting manhood.  Thank you, Jesus, for a dad to walk Riv through it all. 





I love it that, from the first moment P entered into this world of bright lights and strange noises, his voice was the only one that would soothe her.  That she will quickly reach out to him to hold her.  And laughs at his "hairy eyeball".  And mimics it comedically.  (Wish I had a picture of that one.  Assignment for tomorrow.)

I love that his favorite first thing with each of our new babies is a nap with them on his chest. (Since he worked so hard during the delivery.)







And that he would throw a punch for them if need be.  ( That one makes me a bit nervous from time to time.)




I love that he always hurries home from work to be with us because he loves being a dad.

And, perhaps most importantly, I love that he really believes it is by grace that we have been saved, not of ourselves, but as a gift from God so that no man can boast.  And he fathers like he believes it.  And knows it is only a gift of God and the working of the Spirit if our kids believe it too.  That frees me and encourages and challenges me.

So grateful for you, babe, my partner in crazydom zooville chaos! 

Happy Father's Day!

And my all-time favorite pic of Daddy Lee...

No comments: