Saturday, June 18, 2011

Beauty in Darkness

My Mom (Nana) and I took the kids to Desoto Caverns right before we left Alabama.  I've been plenty of times, mostly when I was a kid.  But this time...not sure of the difference...maybe mothering is heightening my sense of surroundings...and my recognition of beauty in those surroundings...I was utterly struck by the eery beauty that can exist deep below.

And found I could not stop clicking my shutter.

There are only a couple places one might experience true and complete darkness.  Inside a cave is one.

But yet...



 In the midst of total darkness...

 With every drip of water...


 ...on a piece of stone...


 Life is brewing.

A sculpture is being carved...

And to me...it is beautiful. 

.13mm of growth per year.  Such faithful, persistent work on these pieces of art.  Beauty in darkness.  Couldn't help sharing.

No comments: